13 April 2011

Why Prenatal HIV Testing is Important

It was almost 10 years ago that I was living in the U.S. during the second trimester of my first pregnancy when, at a regular check-up, I was briefed by one of the senior nurses about the routine HIV screening exam. She explained it to me in a calm and professional manner, then gave me a pamphlet to read through and a consent form to sign once I've decided to undergo the exam.   I could "opt-out" and take the exam later on, in case I change my mind.  I remember her being very concerned, but not forceful, about undergoing the exam. "So we could take good care of you, just in case" was sort of like what she said to me.   Lucky for her, I knew just enough about HIV and AIDS to assure her that she can take some of my blood and test it.  Of course, a week later, she gave me the all-clear.

Fast forward to 2011, proactive information dissemination about HIV testing and AIDS awareness campaigns are still lacking in the Philippines. This despite the wealth of information we now have about it, which we are able to access easily via the internet, and also despite having a law called the "Philippine AIDS Prevention and Control Act of 1998" (R.A. 8504).  HIV continues to be spread largely due to ignorance.

Let's pause for a minute here. Were you surprised that we actually have a law with provisions regarding the fight against AIDS and that it's been around since 1998?   Yeah, I was, too.  But I wasn't surprised that Article 3 of R.A. 8504, a section about "Testing, Screening and Counselling", doesn't cover routine prenatal HIV screening.

Image Source
Well, not yet, at least.  HIV testing is available in the Philippines but it's not S.O.P. for doctors to discuss this with their patients.  Of course there are appropriate situations to raise this topic and I strongly believe that pregnancy is one of them.  It should be routinely offered during the first few prenatal checkups, and it should be done in a respectful manner in order to thoroughly educate and encourage patients to take the exam.  Under our laws, patients can opt-in or opt-out but, nonetheless, we should grab the opportunity to empower people with the right information at the right time.

Related link: BabyCenter PH provides details about HIV screening in the Philippines

Until now, AIDS is still considered the curse of homosexuality when the fact is that heterosexuals -- even children -- could be diagnosed as HIV+ due to other ways that the virus could be transmitted.  I learned recently that in some indigent communities, HIV+ mothers were nursing their newborns with the full belief that the virus cannot be transmitted in-utero or through breastmilk (because it's supposed to be good for the baby).  This just goes to show how much we still have to learn about HIV and how to fight it.  There are areas where we can easily prevent it from spreading.  That's where we have to focus.

Expand your knowledge:
What is HIV?
What is AIDS?

Learn more about prenatal HIV screening:
HIV and AIDS in pregnancy
HIV Testing is Important for You and Your Baby
HIV Testing Among Pregnant Women
Prenatal HIV Testing Must Respect Women’s Rights

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...