16 June 2011

Sensible Godparenting


My kids with one of their "kinakapatid"
Our fourth godchild had just turned one year old yesterday.  She is a gorgeous baby girl who is now in that stage when she finds her own voice entertaining.  Another of our godchildren is turning 3 in a few weeks. He has just started going to preschool yesterday.  His mother reported that he wasn't anxious about the new experience at all, and had actually taken to the new environment quite quickly.  Good boy!

Whenever we get updates about how our godkids are doing, I feel so proud of them.  But then a while later, I catch myself looking at stuff that I shouldn't be interested in anymore, like cute little pajamas and toddler toys.  My own children are turning 7 and 10 this year.  What was I doing browsing through bibs, small shoes, and reusable cloth diapers?
I took a step back and realized: I've just gotten a peek at what kind of grandmother I'll be.  Now I understand why grandparents spoil their grandkids. It's because they can spend more time doting on them than frowning at their jumping all over the place (by then, they'll be "been there, done that!").  It sounds like godparents have the same privilege.  But in my case, I try to be consistent in the way I dote on my own kids and my godkids.  I try to be a sensible godparent.  You can expect me to be gifting sensible things like books, crayons, reusable cloth diapers, and chocolate cereal.  In my home, kids can't be watching TV all the time.  They have to go out and play then come back all smelly and sweaty and laughing like crazy.  In my home, kids should eat their vegetables, finish their meals, drink more water than juice, be nice to the cats, and be kind to one another.

I love being a godparent and I love doting on our godkids.  I especially like the idea that I am part of another family, which gives me the opportunity to see another young life grow and to be part of that life.  I especially appreciate the opportunity to be part of a family that's not related to me by blood or marriage, but by love and friendship.

I take "godparenthood" very seriously and I expect my own kids' godparents to regard their responsibility with a sense of sobriety and empathy.  Some "spoiling" is also very welcome :-)


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...