13 June 2005

Sensible Lines Heard in the Workplace

"Life is like a box of choc'lates; you never know what you're gonna get."

Admit it: That makes a lot of sense. Come to think about it, that is one of the most sensible things you've ever heard. For me, it is.

Here are some more from my list ...

1 - "I've been on this therapy for 10 years. But why stop when I'm helping others?"
Although one of my teammates at work said it, this line reminded me of my best friend, who is an Occupational Therapist and does these practical arts type of therapy with psychiatric patients for a living. When my teammate said it, that was the first time I've ever seen anyone from the other side of the fence. With this therapy, she has found her form of expression--stress reliever, if you will--and it's called BAKING. Apart from using this yummy art to ease her mind and nerves, she teaches baking regularly.
The verdict: JUST KEEP IT COMIN'.

2 - "Circumstances can never negate the promises of God."
Do I have to say why this is so sensible? Well, not only does it make sense, it's a FACT. Sometimes, you have to hear the truth said out loud. Think about it: God is God. What He says, goes. God never fails and He's ALWAYS good. So when He makes a promise, it's absolute. A done deal.
Circumstances--like politics or economic crises or natural disasters like stubbornness, pride, and impatience--are nothing compared to the power of God.

3 - "How can you argue about something that does not exist?"
This was a thought that came to me when I was a freshman in college. It came around the time when I was taking up Philosophy 101--which had gone down history as the most useless course ever.
I'm sorry, but people who think too much and who do it for a living need to have a real life.
Anyway, with Philo 101, you'll always get these arguments about God, yada yada yada... I say it's all a waste of time. Because, yes, why argue about something that supposedly does not exist?
Every idea that we have is not borne out of nothing. Something led to another thing. We're not gods that we are able to conjure something out of nothing. Humankind is not that smart.

4 - "That's just a classic case of the customer not saying something."
Technical training opened up my eyes to another world that spoke a different language--computer gibberish. OK, OK...jargon. It also made me a bit more aware of how antivirus products work and why certain issues happen.

But the line above, contributed by a friend who's seen it all, reminded me that things aren't really that complex 70% of the time. The problem may just be between the keyboard and the chair.

User error 000: no solution. Shutting down.

5 - "I throw it back to you; why don't you do it?"

I just loooooooove this line ;-)

This was said by one of my teammates, whom I had been itching to see show the audacity to talk back at our manager.

Actually, the dynamics of my team is such that we can always talk back at our manager--not disrespectfully, of course. We can challenge each other, debate and disagree, as long as ideas are being exchanged and decisions are being made.

However, for this guy in particular, this line was something special. Our manager had asked if someone could please do a particular disagreeable task, which was a task nonetheless. And our guy said his line without blinking. There was applause and a show of very amused grins.

He's the only guy in my team of 6 techwriters, but he was by far the most emotional (until we discovered baking teammate's thing). In our manager's words: He wears his heart on a sleeve.

This show of confidence bodes well, I foresee, hrummm...

TELL ME YOURS!

1 comment:

eLf ideas said...

Nix,
Another day of higher learning.

just a little butterfly fluttering by and finding literary inspiration.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...