03 September 2011

When My Kids Get Hurt

My sons began taking up taekwondo just last summer. This was a decision they made themselves. They were promoted to high yellow belt last May. Now, they're working towards getting blue belts. It required them to experience sparring. I've surrendered myself to the fact that boys will be boys, so scrapes and bruises have recurring roles on my kids. But when they asked for my permission to let them join spars, I suddenly felt reluctant and nervous.

There is no reason why I should not allow my kids to spar. Besides, how else are they going to improve? I was just worried about them getting seriously injured. And, yet, it would be unreasonable to hope that they would never feel pain.

I took up muay thai several years ago. Bones and joints were turned into weapons. I sparred a few times then. Often I'd go home with big bruises on my arms & shins. There were times I had bloody cuts on my feet.

Now, my boys might experience that sort of pain. I'm worried because, not only are they my babies but, I know how it feels. It has already started. In fact, my youngest recently came home after a taekwondo practice almost unable to walk with his right foot. Turns out he was injured when he & another taekwondo student hit each other's foot. My son got a small cut on one of his toes.

I know there will be more stories of pain to come. As my boys train to become better at taekwondo, I should train myself not to wince all the time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...