06 September 2013

Going Plastic-less with Baby Steps

On July 3 (back in 2011), International Plastic Bag-Free Day, my boys came home from grocery-shopping in the SM Hypermarket on C-5 Pasig with our new food stuff and what-not in cardboard boxes, which elicited such a joy in me.  My hubby told me that SM started packing away in boxes in compliance with Pasig City's Green City program (Ordinance #09-2010, I think, but I can't find a copy of the guidelines online).  This is a much better move than using biodegradable plastic bags and even more so than the lukewarm BYOB Wednesdays.  But my happiness was short-lived because, upon opening the boxes, I am once again reminded of how far we still have to go with really truly becoming plastic-free.

You realize that the message hasn't been received in certain places yet if we cannot even influence a meaningful change all the way through to the people who rampantly and thoughtlessly use plastic packaging.  I imagine hearing "But this is the way it's always been" and excuses that use "safety" and "health regulation" as reasons for why we cannot get rid of plastic packaging.  I can't really see a reason why we can't go BYOC.  Standardize containers, strictly impose sanitation guidelines on those containers, do not give away plastic bags for free (in some countries that ban plastic bags, large reusable bags are up to 10x cheaper than 1 sturdy plastic bag), and make waste management sustainable and habitual for the populace.

Environmental NGOs are lobbying for a plastic ban/waste management law that will:
  • phase out plastic bags both regular and degradable;
  • promote organic reusable bags;
  • espouse take-back mechanisms and recycling;
  • support LGUs in their waste management initiatives;
  • impose environmental levy on plastic bags; and
  • for accountability purposes, label so-called “degradable" plastic bags to show name of manufacturers, manufacturing date, and the degradation period of the bag.
The use of plastics has been part of a society's daily routine for decades.  It is a problem that needs to be dealt with in a systematic but decisive manner.  As I said before, this movement will definitely be more successful and achievable with firm political will.

I am so pleased to know that where I live, Pasig City, there is a Green City initiative that is inspiring a healthier lifestyle.  There's the "BaZero" program, urban garden project, anti-smoking ordinance in public places (in compliance with RA 9211 and we now all know about MMDA's Smoke-Free Environment campaign), promotion of using bikes around the city, and the recently-launched e-Jeepney.

There's also the "No Straw Fridays" in fast food places (is it happening in restos also?) around the city, which makes me roll my eyes every time.  Right, woohoo, no plastic straws on Fridays -- but the food is served in styrofoam packaging and eaten with a plastic spoon and a plastic fork, plus the drink comes in a plastic cup.  Plus, if you take out the food, they go into a plastic bag (I've made a habit of bringing my own foldable and reusable bags, or just saying "no" to the plastic bag if I got just one little thing).

Oh boy, we sure still have a looooooooooong way to go.  At least we're on our way to reaping the benefits of a cleaner, greener city.

Like Plastic - Free Philippines or follow @PlasticFreePH to get news and updates about a plastic-free life.

Click on the image to get the poster-size version

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...