17 February 2005

Revised Thoughts on Ambition

When I was 20 years old--OK, OK, 10 years old--I carved out this whole career path in front of me. I was going to be a CNN broadcaster. But, of course, it soon dawned on me that it was just my maternal grandmother who wanted it so badly for me.

And then after that, I wanted to become a field reporter for National Geographic, and then a writer for Time, and then an editor for Reader's Digest, and then a field reporter for GMA.

I wanted to be this and that so much that I eventually couldn't figure out where I was going after college.

My college profs almost ruined everything by deciding that, oh, she's good in photography. Let's "persuade" her to become a photographer instead and maybe she'll realize that broadcasting's not what she really wants.

"Sure, I could be a photographer", the ever optimistic me said to the doubting part of me (which is dealing with an inferiority complex because I'm so gungho when it comes to challenges).

However, like what they say about birds with wings-- you gotta let it fly. I was no photographer; I was a writer. An editor. And, not to sound big about it, but I'm one heck of an idea shredder. A God-given talent that I want to continue nourishing for the rest of my life.

Before I was out of college, I got a job as an editor for an online magazine. Ever since then, I've mostly been an editor-writer, and I believe that I can't imagine doing anything else.

So to my college profs: HA HA.

But, back to this thing about ambition: I've always thought that I had it all figured out, you know. When I was 20 (this is true this time, OK?), I had this 5-year plan laid out before me. I was going to take up my masteral degree in International Communications in this American university. I was going to do this and that, and even put up this business. My husband knew that and was very supportive. I wanted to do so many things, climb ladders, get degrees, see the world...

and of course, exhaust myself and go home empty and direction-less.

That's what I realized when things didn't quite turn out the way I planned them to. When pride gets in the way, God sure teaches you a hard lesson.

And looking back...I wouldn't have it any other way =D

I'm 25 now, and I have two of the world's most adorable boys, and my husband's a full time rockstar. I'm a full-time working mom. And my life is full of joy, love, peace, meaning, and purpose.

My best friend is an ambitious therapist who was blessed recently with a great opportunity to work in a prestigious hospital in Chicago. However, we humans tend to stain pure things like that with selfishness. Her ambition got in the way, so much that she almost missed God's will for her love life. Almost.

In my department is one of the most ambitious and fast-paced professional women I've ever met. She's very good at what she does. Too good maybe because her life revolves around that primarily. She's jetlagged but she'd rather work than rest her body (that's screaming for sleep). So she gets on our backs most of the time.

She needs a boyfriend. "In the WORST WAY", my colleague adds.

I'm still a bit ambitious. Our team's manager knows that, and he's very well aware that I want to be the manager someday. He couldn't be any more happier about it, actually ;-)

But my level of ambition is now within the bounds of reality and humility, if I may say so. Life should be more than just dreams, work, and ambition. If there's anything we should be ambitious about, it's to please God and fulfill His purpose for our lives.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...