13 March 2005

The Truly Rich Life

Lately, I've been feeling disturbed by how many people I know who are single and ambitious. Especially those who are in the I.T. industry. The surge of opportunities in the I.T. industry in the Philippines (in Manila alone) have created a new breed of single Filipino professionals who are staying away from "settling down" later and later in life.

Ambition and money is the top priority. The idea of having a boyfriend/girlfriend is not the source of pressure from family that it was 10 years ago. People are more concerned with how much money they are making, with getting this or that, with pension plans, with stock options, with promotions, and other career what-have-yous.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to better oneself and with striving to have the life you want to have. However, when at the end of the day--after all the parties are done, the alcohol's effect has worn off, and you've purchased the latest gadget on the market--you are alone. Life feels empty, meaningless. There is no direction or purpose. You think you've set a goal for yourself, but after reaching it or nearly getting there, it's not what you expect it to be.

When people are this ambitious, their lives are more complicated and full of various stress. Usually, work-related. And as they go through it, they rely on their strength and skills. When they recover from it, they credit it all to themselves or their friends'/co-workers'/managers'/family's support.

No wonder all this seeming richness and fruitfulness has a thin and dissatisfying taste that leaves you wanting for more.

It's at times like these that I thank God that He slapped me silly when I became so ambitious. I thought I was the commander of my life, the captain of my ship. I thought I had my life in control. I thought I had set goals for myself. Little did I know that I couldn't do it. That all that striving would just end up in a big mess. A big mess that looks OK but still a mess nonetheless.

Like many others, I would have fooled myself into thinking that I was successful, that I was achieving great heights. The Lord did say that He is gracious to the humble but He would bring down the haughty and the prideful.

Lord, thank You for taking control of my life, for taking care of me, for all the unimaginable richness that I'm experiencing in my life now.

If I had taken the same road as many are now, I would have been cheating myself out of a life with my Lord. I would've cheated myself out of the blessings that I couldn't get by my own effort and strength.

Human wisdom and strength really can never justify itself when placed in the presence of God.

How I hope and pray more people would realize that.

2 comments:

Nelson said...

Hey Nix! Gurlfriend! Musta na! I owe you a very long quento, dear! But for now I gotta sleep muna. Hugs and cheers to your little chikitings and to Mr Jazz!

eLf ideas said...

Friend Nix,
I'm glad that I'm among those who have found solace and bliss in the prospect of finally getting married on my return home.

eLf

PS:
I'd be linking your blog with mine, which is elf-ideas.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...