31 May 2005

A Writer VS IT Network Training

Back in the university I attended, during my time, people in my course--Communication Arts--were also known as masochists. The primary reason being that the course was so tough that grown men stayed up through the night finishing a video project while crying and craving for sleep. Being a CommArts grad made me used to staying up and working through 3 days and nights without sleeping. It made me familiar with the sounds of the late night and ghost stories at 3 A.M.

Five years later, I am suddenly made to go back to a somewhat similar college experience. Although, this one's more classic.

When our team manager decided to put us (my team) through the same training as our engineers did, it was a challenge that not only tested our willpower and learning capabilities--it mostly tested how much drama we could take for 5 weeks.

In my case, it was almost 7 weeks. I'm not shy about saying that I'm so glad it's over, but at the same time, I miss being in training. I miss hanging out with my batchmates and I miss the camaraderie we shared, especially when it's already 7 A.M. and we have a troubleshooting activity due in less than 12 hours. Make that 6 hours, because we badly needed to sleep.

To call the experience as RIGOROUS does not fully capture all the emotion that went into just coping with the demands of the course. Put yourself in my shoes and you'll understand exactly why it was especially excruciating for me and my team.

For one thing: we are technical writers. We are all Communication Arts majors. We are the most non-technical group in our department of 300++ members.

Secondly, what the hell do we care about why Windows Server 2003 is a pain the ass? And so what if Windows XP can handle only 10 connections at one time? What in the world are OSI Layers???

Thirdly, we are not dumb when it came to computer-related or internet stuff, but when left with new software, it is not instinctive for us to play with it. I've learned that engineers can get overly excited over cables.

During the first week of my batch in training, I was perpetually lost and craving for logic. To understand the concept of subnetting, I had to ask my batchmates to repeat it to me at least 5 times.

Eventually, I was able to catch up and learn all these absolutely new things easily. It was good that I loved learning new stuff. Not to boast, but I started to actually enjoy training. I was optimistic; I might just be able to pass all the courses in this training.

You see, before I set out, I made a deal with myself: Towards the last few weeks, we had to get certified in 3 of Trend Micro's major products. We could take the certification exam up to 10 times if it was necessary. However, the program tolerated only 3 times, and you might as well get it on the first try. So, I told myself--I was going to get certified in all products on the first try.

And, you know what? I did. Oh yes I did. It was so satisfying that I still couldn't believe it. But most of all, it's all thanks to God. I just feel like my cup has overflowed once again.

After almost 7 emotionally and physically exhausting weeks in training (5 of which were spent in night shift, 9 PM to 6 AM), IT WAS ALL OVER. And now, I'm scaring myself.

I am amazed at the things I understand now. I am amazed at how I am able to understand technical stuff like servers, the IIS, security tools, blah blah blah... The way I understand all these information is bizarre and satisfying at the same time.

Although my husband has another say about my training (he wasn't exactly happy about how long it went for), he can't doubt what it has done for me... and for our PC at home.

Last week, something weird happened to the PC. Either my brother-in-law (who is an antivirus software company's nightmare) or my husband ran something that changed the computer's speed and other configuration. Anyway, when the computer booted up, it went directly to the BIOS. Well, to cut the long story short, I sat down, did my thing, restarted the computer, and fixed the thing.

I wish I had photographed the look on my husband's face. His jaw dropping and his speechlessness was enough to make my day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...