06 September 2013

Of Taxes, Corruption, and the People's Expectations

I know that 20-30% of my monthly salary is taxed. I honestly do not mind losing that huge chunk to the government IF it was truly being used for what I expect.
  • Better and cleaner schools, hospitals, libraries, public utilities
  • Public workers getting paid sufficiently
  • Low-income workers receiving adequate and competent health care
  • Public school teachers getting quarterly training to upgrade their knowledge and skills
  • Upgraded public infrastructure for communications and power
  • A kickass public transport system
  • Efficient and practical recycling systems
These are just a few of my wishes for this country. I could go on and on.

We pay -- and expect -- the government to take care of our basic necessities (clothing, food, education, healthcare, transportation). If the people are not hungry, and if they are clothed, healthy, and educated, if they do not spend so much time just worrying about survival on a day-to-day basis -- then we can start to dream and actually contribute to our society.

Why can't this happen in the Philippines? Will it ever happen to us?

I'm still hoping and praying it will. Maybe this video is right: it's time for a change in our mindset.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...