13 December 2013

Loaves and Fishes

Until now, I can't figure out how one of my bank accounts still had the same balance since about 6 days ago, even if I had withdrawn around Php4,200 the last 2 or 3 days from it for various expenses. I know I'm bad at math, but this was just crazy. I'd been racking my brains for a logical explanation.

Image source
And then, I was reminded of the Bible story about Jesus feeding over 5,000 people with just 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish. I heard a calm and small voice whisper to me, "Why not? If God can do that, can't He do the same for you?" The answer, of course, is YES. Why not nga naman?

Pretty sure that God can do whatever He wants with that money. To me, it may just be a few thousand pesos. But to Him, the amount doesn't matter -- as it also didn't with the loaves and the fish. What matters is what He can do with whatever you have. And, oh boy, He can do SO MUCH! :-)

This reminded me of three beautiful truths:
  • God rewards the faithful
    While I truly believe in tithing, my heart isn't always whole when it comes to actually giving my tithe. I have the usual excuses, you know -- bills, grocery, stuff like that. I'd been very bad at tithing for most of this year actually.
    But at my last payday, which was also when I got my 13th month bonus, I prioritized setting aside my tithe and gave it joyfully to my church. It felt so right; I really felt that I was back on track.
    When I gave my tithe, I told God, "Lord, bahala Ka na. You be in charge." I truly believe that the mind-boggling thing He did to me this past week is one way He's telling me that, yes, He is in charge.
  • God keeps His promises
  • In Malachi 3:10, the Lord said, "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it." (italics mine)  
    Need I say more? :-)
  • God is in control
  • For the past 8 or 9 years, before the 365th day would come around, I always ask God, "What's Your theme for me next year?" He answers me either a few days before the year ends or a few days after the new year began. But this time, even before I asked, God answered me 2 months earlier. The theme? God is in control.
    He reaffirmed this message to me 3 times in different ways. But I had a follow-up question: "Why so early?" I got the answer a few weeks ago.
    I was suddenly recruited to play a major part in a new global training initiative at my company. I would be expected to produce creative instructional materials on at least 2 different technical topics every month. While one part of me felt happy and proud to be entrusted with an important responsibility, another part of me was very pissed (it's a long story best told over cold beer). Suffice it to say that I was worried. My entire 2014 is already booked even before it arrived.
    So when God reassured me that He is in control, I realized that I was being silly. Why am I so worried? Why do I feel like I'm going to fail? Those fears are not real.
    I know I'm gonna be OK, because my God has got my back. He's got it all figured out.

I'm ready, Lord. Let's go, 2014! :-)


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...