20 May 2011

Doin' the Sex Talk




In the debate on "Sex Education" during ABS-CBN's "Harapan" about the "RH Bill", the obviously out-of-place Fr. Melvin Castro asked the pro-RH panel if the inclusion of sex education is mandated because of doubts around the parents' ability to discuss the topic with their children. Rep. Risa Hontiveros replied that it is there because, according to surveys, most parents are not willing to discuss it with their children. Women's rights advocate Beth Angsioco clarified that sex education isn't simply about sex and the reproductive system. It also highlights values-based education that focuses on responsibility and respect towards self and others.

My own parents never spoke to me and my younger brothers about sex or reproductive health. I don't know why, maybe I should ask them one of these days. But one thing I know for sure is, I learned more about sex and reproduction from movies, my friends, and Biology class during my first year in college. I remember our class being shown a documentary that presented the development of a human baby from fertilization to birth. We all left the classroom wanting to puke our brains out. Until now, I can see in my mind that close-up shot of the baby's head coming out of the vagina.

*barf break*

Actually, it's been 15 years since I watched that video. Now I am "Mama" to two boys who are turning 7 and 10 this year. The most effective and comprehensive reproductive health education I got was from the clinic I went to in New Jersey, where I was living when I was pregnant with my firstborn in 2001. It was there that I first learned about prenatal HIV screening, in-utero/prenatal genetic testing, and newborn screening. With each visit, the clinic gave patients a thick packet of various reading materials on maternal health, what to expect during birth and delivery, maternal and children's rights, etc. as well as numerous other nifty things that helped with child care during the baby's first year.  And, yes, even the answer to the question: "Can we do it even if I'm pregnant?"

Also in the same clinic, during 1 or 2 of my post-delivery check-ups, nurses briefed me on family planning. It was a routine service that they provided for all post-natal patients there. I was actually asked first how many children I wanted to have, about my job, my husband's job, our living conditions, family health history, among other things. It was information they used to customize the message to me. They didn't only focus on what it is and the different family planning methods but, more importantly, they also discussed how our choices will affect the child's health and development as well as my own health and our family's quality of life. It was a very wholistic approach that gave me an empowering "big picture" perspective to family planning. That is what you get when the concepts of "responsibility" and "respect" towards self and others are introduced to sex education.

With everything I know now about sex and reproductive health, I honestly feel that there's nothing to be squeamish or embarrassed about when having "the talk" with your kids. The "birds and the bees" style is so passe.  While talking about marriage, sex, pregnancy, and childbirth with my boys, they were grossed out and so was I.  No kidding.  It made me realize that there's really nothing sexy about sex itself.   No wonder the proper venue for it really is the marriage bed of two people in love; only people in love can overlook its yucky parts.

We're very open with our kids and we talk about almost everything with them. With sex education-related topics, we tried to be as candid and honest as we can; we focused on helping them understand sex within the context of responsibility and family. We were also considerate and sensitive to their feelings and reactions; they were allowed to ask as many questions as they wanted.

Reproductive Health Education really just has to be age-appropriate and done respectfully and consistently. For any message to be effectively delivered, it should be presented completely, clearly, carefully, and meaningfully. Otherwise, lack of information will only lead to further misinformation and misunderstanding.

Stay informed. Pass the RH Bill.

Learn more:
Prenatal Testing
Routine blood tests
Newborn Screening


Image source: Zazzle.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...