15 November 2012

Eco-Tourist Woes

Bulabog Beach, Boracay 
(Photo by Ocean Hour Philippines)
Since becoming a conservationist, I've turned into a slightly more stressed out traveler. Instead of enjoying and discovering new experiences while traveling, I've become quick to see what is wrong. Instead of recounting the wonderful things I see, I recount the violations I noticed. I've really ruined the "tourist experience" for myself.

A friend said to me, "Your standards have just become higher because you now know better." Well, that's one way of looking at it.  There is no way I could ever just experience things as they are because I'm more aware now.

Just to be clear: I don't go berserk and tell people not to do this or that, ok? I just quietly seethe most of the time.

Another friend, who I see as an "ultimate traveler", told me today that he stays away from a lot of "must visit" places lately.  I asked him if we (SPS) turned him that way. "YES", he replied with a wide unblinking stare.

There must be a way to remain a responsible traveler without ruining the experience for others.  Would these work?

  • Go anyway. You're there already. Go on the tours, see the sights, see what the fuss is all about. That way, you can see the whole picture and be a credible witness about what needs to be changed.
  • Stay true to yourself. Continue to make responsible choices. Bring your own water bottle, use your reusable bags, refuse that plastic bag, buy eco-friendly souvenirs, dispose waste properly. Stuff like that.
  • Research first. You know where you're going, so look it up before you go. If there are better alternatives, then go with those. SSTDI (Society for Sustainable Tourism & Development, Inc.) suggests learning more about places that are heritage sites or protected areas.
  • Suggest. At the end of the day, if you keep your observations to yourself, they don't help anyone. Talk to the tour guide, management, local government, whoever else who will listen or can do something to make things right. Anyone can kickstart change. Let it be you.
  • Tell others. Never underestimate the power of word-of-mouth advertising. Blog about your experience. Talk about it with your friends. If you know someone who is going to a place you've been to, reach out and make some helpful suggestions on how to be eco-friendly while traveling. SSTDI has very good tips on "green travel" at their blog.
Got any ideas? Do share them with me here in the comments. Thank you!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...