22 December 2012

Thankfulness and Holiday Busyness



As I write this, barely 3 days til Christmas Eve (a more busy day for me than Dec. 25), I'm gazing contentedly at our family's Christmas tree, with its golden lights twinkling cheerily and personalized ornaments sitting prettily among green plastic leaves, and enjoying the calmness of a Friday night at home. My kids and I have just painted colorful patterns on 2 sheets of manila paper (our homemade giftwrappers). That was what we wanted to do tonight.

My kids were so excited to see that I had arrived home long before sunset (and long before the Friday holiday traffic got crazy). It meant painting time! We almost couldn't make them put down the brushes and have some dinner.



Tomorrow, I will be picking up a few more goodies, sending off some holiday cheer elsewhere, and spending the rest of the night wrapping Christmas gifts. When I thought about that, I had expected to hear myself groan inwardly as I'd done for the past 10 years. But surprisingly, I felt...peaceful. A more apt word would be thankful. Yes, I felt really thankful.

Thankful that we can buy and give gifts.
Thankful that we can bless others who desperately need love and hope.
Thankful for dear and true friends.
Thankful for good memories.
Thankful for health.
Thankful that we have a Christmas tree.
Thankful for Christmas lights.
Thankful for reunions.
Thankful for family traditions.
Thankful for purpose.
Thankful for the past.
Thankful for the future.
Thankful for love.

Yes, the holidays are tiring. Exhausting even (I get sick on Jan. 2 every year, I kid you not!). But at this moment of clarity and humble thankfulness, I am satisfied.

Thank You, Lord :-)

Happy Holidays, everyone! <3

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...